Faculty Development Program
The FDP is an interprofessional curriculum grounded in evidence-based practices for health care professionals with a faculty appointment. The curriculum incorporates the Multidisciplinary Competencies in the Care of Older Adults established by the American Geriatrics Society's Partnership for Health in Aging. FDP Scholars will enhance their skills in working interprofessionally and effectively teaching health care professionals and students in aging-related topics.
- Earn continuing education credit
- Update your knowledge and skills in geriatrics
- Strengthen your teaching effectiveness
- Enable yourself and others to better serve older adults
- Add geriatrics and gerontology to your teaching and research portfolio
- Gain professional contacts from multiple campuses and disciplines
- Develop skills in educational research and evaluation
- Become a resource in geriatrics to others on your campus
- Learn more about your own aging
The FDP 200-hour curriculum includes approximately 75 hours of in-class participation, a curriculum project, the Richmond Health and Wellness Program practicum, and self-study. At monthly seminars, Scholars participate in didactic sessions, discussions, and analyses led by the VGEC’s interprofessional team of educators. The seven sessions in Richmond are complemented by retreats in western Virginia, the Tidewater area, and at the annual Virginia Geriatrics Society meeting.
Scholars work with VGEC faculty mentors and their fellow Scholars on a capstone project over the course of the program to develop, implement and evaluate an interprofessional curriculum of their own choosing, incorporating the content and experiences of the FDP.
FDP Scholars observe Richmond Health & Welness Program -- an innovative, interprofessional care coordination and wellness clinic for older adults residents of five low-income housing communities.
The program registration is $250, which includes classroom materials, lunch and refreshments, and availability of CME/CE credits. Participants will be responsible for hotel accommodations at retreats.
Links for More Information: